Over the past few months I’ve been sharing many ideas to help your students develop an appreciation for mathematics. I’ve shared 21 of the best maths strategies; math tips to help improve student motivation; a fun way to review math facts; mental maths games; and other free printable math games.
I always find quotes a good way to motivate and inspire, so I’ve compiled 25 inspirational math quotes. You can use these for inspiration for yourself, or even share them with your students and have a discussion about the meaning of the quote and the person who is quoted.
25 inspirational math quotes
1. “Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.” – Albert Einstein
2. “The study of mathematics, like the Nile, begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence.” – Charles Caleb Colton
3. “Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers.” – Shakuntala Devi
4. “In mathematics the art of proposing a question must be held of higher value than solving it.” – Georg Ferdinand Ludwig Philipp Cantor
5. “The only way to learn mathematics is to do mathematics.” – Paul Halmos
6. “Obvious is the most dangerous word in mathematics.” – Eric Temple Bell
7. “Mathematics is the music of reason.” – James Joseph Sylvester
8. “You don’t have to be a mathematician to have a feel for numbers.” – John Forbes Nash, Jr.
9. “Life is a math equation. In order to gain the most, you have to know how to convert negatives into positives.” – Anonymous
10. “Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.” – Mickey Mouse
11. “It is clear that the chief end of mathematical study must be to make the students think.” – John Wesley Young
12. “One of the endlessly alluring aspects of mathematics is that its thorniest paradoxes have a way of blooming into beautiful theories.” – Philip J Davis
13. “Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics.” – Dean Schlicter
14. “Just because we can’t find a solution it doesn’t mean that there isn’t one.” – Andrew Wiles
15. “Mathematics is the gate and key to science.” – Roger Bacon
16. “Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding.” – William Paul Thurston
17. “There should be no such thing as boring mathematics.” – Edsger Dijkstra
18. “Nature is written in mathematical language.” – Galileo Galilei
19. “Mathematics is a language.” – Josiah Willard Gibbs
20. “Mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.” – Albert Einstein
21. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” – Dr. Seuss
22. “It’s fine to work on any problem, so long as it generates interesting mathematics along the way – even if you don’t solve it at the end of the day.” – Andrew Wiles
23. “If you stop at general math, then you will only make general money.” – Snoop Dogg
24. “Mathematics is the most beautiful and most powerful creation of the human spirit.” – Stefan Banach
25. “Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why.” – Bernard Baruch
Did I include your favorite math quote? What would you add? In the comments below share your best inspirational math quotes.
FREE Skip Counting Puzzles
Tell me where you want me to send your free Skip Counting Puzzles: