Developing mental math strategies is a skill that will help our students for the rest of their lives. Engage your students in learning these mental math strategies for addition and subtraction with these fun activities and instructional resources. Mental math is important to help our students work efficiently through math in class and in everyday life.
These addition strategies and subtraction strategies will help your students for years to come. ThIs mental math strategies activities pack comes with posters, activity ideas, and games—all ready to print, copy, and laminate as needed. Teaching mental math strategies for addition and subtraction just got more fun for your students — and easier for you.
What you’ll get in the mental math strategies pack
Mental Math Strategies for Addition and Subtraction includes:
- An explanation of each mental math strategy
- Posters to explain and illustrate each strategy
- Activity ideas to help your students practice the strategy
- Games to provide practice of the strategy
The Addition and Subtraction Mental Math Strategies that are covered in this pack include:
- Counting on strategy
- Near doubles strategy
- Compatible numbers strategy
- Partitioning strategy
- Estimating strategy
The aim of teaching these mental math strategies to students is to:
- Encourage students to use mental computation as a first choice and as a way of checking other forms of calculation
- Assist students in building a large variety of strategies from which they can select to complete calculations
- Help students in understanding the relationships and patterns that occur between numbers and operations, which will then aid them in their mental calculations
- Develop in students confidence and enjoyment in mathematics through the control and command over numbers
Look What Teachers Are Saying:
- “I love these and have already received compliments from my coworkers on them. Thanks for the fun and bright visuals that fit in so well with the rest of my classroom!”
- “Kids are having a ball with the estimating bugs.”
- “These are perfect for explaining different mental maths strategies.”
- “Good to have up in the classroom after explicit teaching.”
- “The parts that I have used in this resource have been most helpful. I look forward to using the rest of the package.”
Download your copy now, click the button below to add this item to your cart.
A sneak peek inside the pack
What do you receive after your purchase?
Once you have completed your purchase you will receive an email with your receipt and a link to download the pack.
Click on the link in the email to open the resource as a PDF. You are then able to save the resource to your computer.
If you don’t see the email in your inbox check your spam or promotions folder.
Download your copy now
Pick this pack up today for an investment of only $5.00USD.
Click the button below to add this item to your cart.
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.
Leave a reply Cancel reply
You may also like
Help your students build a strong number sense with these place value cards. Students will work on identifying, comparing and ordering numbers to thousands.
Teaching skip counting just got easier! These skip counting activities are fun and easy to use and includes 100 PRINT and GO skip counting worksheets.
Make teaching 2D shapes a breeze with this 2D shape bingo and poster pack. The pack is adaptable for introducing, practicing, or reviewing shapes.