Kids love learning about natural disasters so use this engaging topic to help them work on important research and writing skills. This natural disasters research project guides your students through all the steps, from brainstorming to reflection. This science project based learning activity is a great cross-curricular activity your students will love.
Researching natural disasters gives kids a chance to dig deeper into a topic of interest. They can learn about the research and report writing process and a particular natural disaster. This series of lessons introduces students to informational texts and how to use these texts to find information about natural disasters to write a report. Students will then work on consolidating information and report writing.
This resource includes both a printable and digital option. The perfect way to incorporate technology standards or use with distance learning. The digital project is a Google Slides that is ready to assign using a share link or Google Classroom. Teacher sharing instructions are included.
Please see the preview to view a sample of the natural disasters research project.
Natural disasters research project target skills
- Understand that reports are used to describe
- Use information texts to collect facts about natural disasters
- Write a report to explain a natural disaster.
Natural disasters research project includes
- 6 Guided Research Activities
- Take students from brainstorming to the final research project
- Printable PDF of all activities
- Digital option for all activities on Google Slides
- Reflection Self-Assessment and Peer-Assessment
Natural disasters project based learning
The culmination of the series of lessons is for the students to act as reporters for the ‘National Geographic Magazine.’ With this in mind, the students are required to design a section about a chosen natural disaster to be included in a magazine. Their sections need to include: a cover page, title page, contents page, bibliography, report and a choice of either pictures, labeled diagram, map or eyewitness account.
Download your copy now, click the button below to Buy Now!
A sneak peek inside the natural disasters pack
This item is also available in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
Here’s what teachers are saying
- “Awesome product! This was a wonderful resource that helped me to walk my students through the process of writing a thorough, detailed, and well-researched report.”
- “Perfect for the Common Core standards I was hoping to achieve with a Natural Disaster research report! Thank you!”
- “A completely scaffolded unit that further develops students inquiry processes.”
- “Fantastic and I found the sections on peer feedback brilliant. For schools in NSW looking at Feedback in your School Plans, I found this excellent.”
- “I love how this is set up, and how it integrates a self-assessment! Will be using with my Year 4s to assess English and Science.”
Save time and join the Top Notch Teaching Members Club
If you’re after more games and activities like this one, then you’ll find this pack along with word work games, puzzles, and worksheets, math games and activities, science lessons, classroom management tools, teacher self-care, and more in the Top Notch Teaching Members Club.
As a member, you’ll receive access to my full range of products for a small monthly fee. That’s over $650 in ready-to-use education resources that you get immediate access to. And the best part is you also get 5+ fresh and new teaching products every month you continue to be a member.
Download what you need, print, and go! Get all the details and join here: https://topnotchteaching.com/members/.
What do you receive after your purchase?
Once you have completed your purchase you will receive an email with your receipt and a link to download the item.
Click on the link in the email to open the resource as a PDF. You are then able to save the resource to your computer.
If you don’t see the email in your inbox check your spam or promotions folder.
Download your copy now
Pick this pack up today for an investment of only $8.00USD. Click the button below to add this item to your cart.
You must log in and be a buyer of this download to submit a review.
You may also like
Printable Brain Break Cards
These 60 brain break cards were designed to help students take a short mental break and regain focus. The perfect addition to any classroom management system!
Myths & Legends Research Project
Need some help teaching your students about myths and legends? Look no further! This packet will engage your students and save you a ton of time.
NO PREP Physical Education Lesson Plans
Quickly and easily plan your physical education lesson plans with these PE activities. Each lesson is on a separate card which makes it easy to grab and go!