My students have been having loads of fun with my phonics board games. The games are fun and an engaging way to help your students revise and practice words during phonics time.
Each set of phonics games includes 40 different board games for 5 different sets of sounds. 1, 2 and 3 syllable words are included in each set to help differentiate for student abilities.
Set A includes:
- Sound /ae/, Spellings: ay, ea, a-e, ai, ai, eigh, ei
- Sound /ee/, Spellings: e, ea, y, ee, ey, ie
- Sound /oe/, Spellings: o, oa, ow, o-e, oe
- Sound /er/, Spellings: er, ir, or, ur, ear
- Sound /e/, Spellings: e, ea, ai
Set B includes:
- Sound /ow/, Spellings: ou, ow
- Sound m/oo/n, Spellings: oo, ew, ue, u-e, o, ui, u
- Sound /ie/, Spellings: i, ie, y, i-e, igh
- Sound b/oo/k, Spellings: oo, u, oul
- Sound /u/, Spellings: u, ou, o, oo
How to use
What’s even better is they’re super easy to use and prepare.
1. Print and laminate each board game on paper or card.
2. If you have students that have large writing the games can be enlarged to A3 (Ledger) size so that the writing squares are bigger.
3. To play the game, students will need 2 different colored markers. They will also need a spinner. To make a spinner use a paper clip and either a pencil or chopstick.
4. The students take turns to spin a word, read the word and then write it on the grid. The winner is the first player to get 4 words in a row in any direction.
Check out the pictures below to see them in action.
Free phonics games
If you’d like to try them out with your students I’ve included a free sample for you. The sample is of sound /ae/. Just click on the picture below to download them.
Now on to the fun part. I would love to give away a couple of these sets to you. All you need to do is tell me why you would like to win them. I will pick 2 of my favorite responses and each person will win both sets of phonics games. Use the comments below to enter your answer. This giveaway closes on Tuesday 2 December 9am WST. Good luck!