Do you have students in your class who like math and think it’s fun? Or, do some of your students groan when you tell them it’s math time? If your students need reasons to love math, then check out these tremendous reasons to love math. But, teaching math is also part inspiration and one way you can get kids excited about math is to share inspirational math quotes with them.
Math quotes for the classroom are an excellent way to motivate and inspire, so I’ve compiled 25 inspirational math quotes. You can use these quotes to inspire yourself or your students. Create a math-rich environment by posting the math quotes around your classroom. Or, write them on the board each day and discuss the meaning of the quote. Most important, share math quotes to have fun!
25 inspirational math quotes
1. “Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.” – Albert Einstein
2. “The study of mathematics, like the Nile, begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence.” – Charles Caleb Colton
3. “Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers.” – Shakuntala Devi
4. “In mathematics the art of proposing a question must be held of higher value than solving it.” – Georg Ferdinand Ludwig Philipp Cantor
5. “The only way to learn mathematics is to do mathematics.” – Paul Halmos
6. “Obvious is the most dangerous word in mathematics.” – Eric Temple Bell
7. “Mathematics is the music of reason.” – James Joseph Sylvester
8. “You don’t have to be a mathematician to have a feel for numbers.” – John Forbes Nash, Jr.
9. “Life is a math equation. In order to gain the most, you have to know how to convert negatives into positives.” – Anonymous
10. “Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.” – Mickey Mouse
11. “It is clear that the chief end of mathematical study must be to make the students think.” – John Wesley Young
12. “One of the endlessly alluring aspects of mathematics is that its thorniest paradoxes have a way of blooming into beautiful theories.” – Philip J Davis
13. “Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics.” – Dean Schlicter
14. “Just because we can’t find a solution it doesn’t mean that there isn’t one.” – Andrew Wiles
15. “Mathematics is the gate and key to science.” – Roger Bacon
16. “Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding.” – William Paul Thurston
17. “There should be no such thing as boring mathematics.” – Edsger Dijkstra
18. “Nature is written in mathematical language.” – Galileo Galilei
19. “Mathematics is a language.” – Josiah Willard Gibbs
20. “Mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.” – Albert Einstein
21. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” – Dr. Seuss
22. “It’s fine to work on any problem, so long as it generates interesting mathematics along the way – even if you don’t solve it at the end of the day.” – Andrew Wiles
23. “If you stop at general math, then you will only make general money.” – Snoop Dogg
24. “Mathematics is the most beautiful and most powerful creation of the human spirit.” – Stefan Banach
25. “Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why.” – Bernard Baruch
Did I include your favorite math quote? What would you add? In the comments below share your best inspirational math quotes.
More fun and easy math activities to inspire your students
There are also many other fun ways to get kids excited about math. If you’re looking for some fun math activities, check out these:
- How to Teach Times Tables and Keep it Fun
- How to Make 5 Mental Math Strategies Fun
- How to Motivate Kids Who Hate Math
- How to Play Easy Math Games Using Dice
And if you’re after even more ideas, then check out my Bumper Book of Math Games and Activities. You’ll get more than 138 pages of math strategies, games and activities. It’s suitable for students in grades 1 – 4, contains easy to follow information and instructions and can be used with individuals, small groups, or your whole class.
Click here to grab your copy of the math eBook.
FREE Skip Counting Puzzles
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive regular teaching tips and updates & get instant access to the free skip counting puzzles PDF:
Thanks for nice collection of math quotes. My favorite here is: “Nature is written in mathematical language.” – Galileo Galilei
Mathematics is just like eating ice cream
“math isn’t always hard, you only need to understand”- by elijah(me)
by the way my favoraite here is no.s 9, 12, and 14
If you play with Mathematics It becomes your hobby.
Saw this in an old Math book:
“Mathematician are of divine descend. They have the power to create”
Another one of my own:
“The physical mysteries of the universe can only be unlocked through Mathematics”